"Rawon" Tradisional Food From Jawa Timur, Indonesia

 



Rawon (beef stew)

Another one of the traditional Indonesian dishes, originally from eastern Java, is rawon, a black colored beef stew. When I had my first taste of rawon, I immediately fell in love, and I knew I wanted to learn more about this exquisite and interesting dish. Abroad, Rawon is called by the name 'Black Soup' because the color of Rawon's dish is black. Rawon has a distinctive taste with an appetizing aroma and taste. Beef, which is the main ingredient in Rawon, is cooked until tender. The taste of Rawon dishes is a combination of sweet, savory and legit flavors. Along with pieces of beef, one of the most important ingredients in cooking rawon is keluak (or kluwak), a nut that I had only previously eaten in a Peranakan dish. Keluak has a taste that reminds of dark chocolate, but more nutty, even with a hint of a rye taste. Beef rawon is served soup with rice, and complemented with baby bean sprouts, a squeeze of lime, and sambal.